Metro improves safety 3 years after deadly crash
posted Jun 22 2012 6:14AM
WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro watchdog groups say the transit system is safer than it was three years ago when nine people were killed in a crash, but there's room for improvement.
In 2009, a malfunctioning electronic circuit led to a crash in which two trains collided near the Fort Totten station. A train operator and eight passengers were killed.
Since then, Deborah A.P. Hersman, chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, says Metro has been more receptive to the board's recommendations.
Matthew Bassett, chairman of the Tri-State Oversight Committee, an independent watchdog agency said Metro has made "fairly strong progress" on safety. However, he says the agency has more to do.
Part of the brake system has fallen off a rail car three times since December.